Friday, May 16, 2008

Busy book club week

Monday night I spoke with a book club from Portland, Wednesday it was nine women in Tampa, and last night I talked to Lydia and her crew from Chicago. Here's a smattering of the questions I was asked:

Q: Any writing superstitions?
A: I seem to have developed one that's here to stay. ie., I don't like odd numbers. The Tin Box has 29 chapters, which has always bothered me, but The Penny Tree has 32 and The Silver Compass has 26, and I already know that the novel I'm working on now will end with an even numbered chapter.

Q: Do you like long chapters or short?
A: I like 'em bite-sized, and I do my best to write my own this way because I think they make it easier to hold a reader's attention.

Q: Are there any books you've read recently that you would recommend?
A: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, told from Death's POV, which shows you how talented this man is to pull it off the way he does. It's won numerous awards and at first I wasn't sure I'd like it, but it really is well done (thanks to Pat at Orion for giving it to me :)

Also, The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein, told from a dog's POV. I was fortunate to read an early ARC months ago, although it debuted this week on May 13th. It was bought for a seven figure advance and I've no doubt it'll leave it's mark on bestseller lists.

8 comments:

Ramona said...

Txs for the book recommendations! I've been pulling my hair out looking for something decent.

Anonymous said...

My sister read The Book Thief for her twelfth grade english class earlier this year and she also said it was very good.

Adam said...

I'm superstitious about numbers too. Can't stand same numbers like 44 or 33 or 99. Makes me nuts! Alwasy has.

Victoria said...

We're in agreement on
the length of chapters for sure. I hate it when I'm reading and a chapter's like 40+ pages.
Enuff! Give me 20 pgs max and I'm happier.

Anonymous said...

Where I'm working right now (Alaska, very few people around) short or long chapters don't matter. I'll read pretty much anything!

laughingwolf said...

will look for the two you recommend...

i like odd numbers, they remind me of me ;) lol

did you know the chinese word for 'death' closely resembles the number '4', and that's why they avoid it, unless accompanied bu an '8', which is 'good luck'?

ORION said...

I love book clubs. There are a few questions that are usually the same but some can surprise me.
One was whether I thought Perry would buy any more Lottery tickets once he won...interesting...

Chris Eldin said...

I loved The Book Thief!

And thanks for reminding me about The Art of Racing in the Rain--can't wait to read that one too!!

I also don't like to end something on an odd number. I can't eat three cookies-it has to be four. And I always round up.
:-)