Monday, October 6, 2008

Another French version of The Penny Tree

Each novel takes on a life of its own, so much so that authors sometimes have trouble staying on top of everything that goes on after the release date. Here are some examples.

I was aware sub-rights for The Penny Tree had been sold to Quebec Loisirs, the French Canadian book club and that they planned a big push for this fall, but until google alert picked it up I hadn't seen the new cover they'd come up with (which I really like because she's leaning against a tree and the English title of the book is after all The Penny Tree).

In addition, here's something you may not know. I might never receive an actual copy of this version of the book. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Authors have to push hard to chase down copies from book clubs, and in some cases I've simply given up, joined the club, and ordered a few copies of my own book for my personal library.

Stuff like this happens all the time. (ie., audio rights were sold for The Tin Box in Denmark, but I didn't find out until I read it on a royalty statement). Initially, when I was first starting out, I was appalled. I was the author! Shouldn't someone out there be communicating every detail with me, including the release of a new cover!?

Now I just laugh. I am, after all, only one fish in a sea filled with fish, and the publishing industry is in a constant state of flux and movement. Everything aside, I'm just grateful that my novels have been included in that movement.

16 comments:

Janet said...

Très jolie!

I liked that book. :o)

Ramona said...

Until I started reading author blogs I had no idea about so much of this stuff. It's so interesting learning about what goes on behind the scenes.

I heart this new cover, btw!!!

Adam said...

Did you notice? How the
girl on this new book cover
has your eyes?

Anonymous said...

Wonderful cover!!!

Bummer that you don't automatically get books sent to you, huh?!

laughingwolf said...

grats on the french version, holly :)

something about the tin box still resonates, and remains my fave....

Angie Ledbetter said...

Very nice, Big Fishy! ;)

Nadine said...

I predict you're gonna
be a whopping HUGE fish
(of whale-like proportions)
by the time you've written six novels cuz your stories have
such magic to them!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Adam. Her
eyes are the same shade
of blue yours are!

Holly Kennedy said...

Thanks, Janet! You're too kind...

Ramona -- How is your first draft going? You haven't emailed to keep me up to date. I hope you haven't abandoned it.

Adam -- No, I hadn't noticed.
Probably because mine are simply blue and hers are jaw-droppingly gorgeous. Look again. There's a difference!!

Kyla-dale -- And then there are times when you get a book mailed to you (ie., my Greek version of Tin Box) and you don't know what words are the title and which ones are your name. It's all Greek to me, and really very interesting.

Holly Kennedy said...

Laughingwolf (Toni) -- what a great compliment. Thanks :)

Angie -- You make me smile.
I'm a minnow, really. Not even close to one of the big fish.

Nadine -- I love your optimism.
And I honestly hope you're right. I really do!

Wordman17 -- Are you half cut?!
Take a look at her eyes and then mine. Hers jump off that book cover and grab you. Mine are simply blue. That's all. Still, you and Adam are very sweet.

Victoria said...

Nice cover!
Congrats on yet another book out there among the masses.

Adam said...

I stand by my first impression.

By the way, are any of your novels published in Italian?

laughingwolf said...

you made me feel one with your characters, thank you

Kim Rossi Stagliano said...

Janet, you beat me to it! I was going to say the meme chose! Congrats, Holly.

K

Janet said...

Kim, who did the meme choose?

;o)

Kim Rossi Stagliano said...

OMG, I have to come up with a pun en francais?? Non can fais! LOL!!