Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Bracing for Halloween at our house

Confession: I've never liked Halloween, even when I was a kid. I hated dressing up in costumes (still do) and candy and sweets just aren't my thing. However, when I had kids, I got into the spirit of it for their sake.

I remember when they used to dress up like gorillas or magicians or skeletons. They'd carry plastic pumpkin pails and their heads would swivel with admiration when they saw all the other faux-fir or glow-in-the-dark sequined outfits kids were wearing. Not so anymore. Now they're 10 and 12, and they're hanging a fake dead body from the basketball hoop, setting up fog machines & strobe lights, and trying to decide how many movement activated spiders dropping from the roofline are too many.

Since moving here four years ago, without fail, we've had 250+ kids come streaming up the driveway between 7 and 9 pm every October 31st. The first year it happened, I was dumbstruck. The second, my 84 year old father-in-law was visiting and couldn't stop shaking his head. Last year I stayed bent over at the front door for a solid 30 minute stretch without straightening, shoveling candy into outstretched bags.

Hmmm... Maybe next year a family vacation away at the end of October might be in order! Think they'd go for it?!

11 comments:

Ramona said...

A woman after my own heart.
I, too, don't like Halloween,
all that candy-giving and pumpkin crap. I do though luv all the little kids but the rest...ugh!

Great pumpkin snapshot btw!!!

Angie Ledbetter said...

When the critters trick-or-treating got bigger than me (and I'm an Amazon) I simply started turning off the porch light on Halloween. But I do love a good costume. :)

ORION said...

yeah we don't get too many trick or treaters wandering down the dock...

Anonymous said...

If they don't, I'd sure go with yah! I could use a vacation.

Adam said...

I'm thinking TURN OUT THE LIGHTS and pretend yah aren't home.
Who needs 250+ kids!!!!

Melissa Amateis said...

I don't like Halloween, either. I used to enjoy it more when I was younger, but now, I find it just annoying.

Last year I was a Halloween grinch. I left my front porch light off and went downstairs to write. :-)

laughingwolf said...

no way the boys would let you, unless it was to some REALLY creepy place ;)

Heidi the Hick said...

That picture is hilarious!

My son decorates the place for Halloween too. This year it was all about caution tape. I think it's great, cuz I'm lazy, and I always get a laugh out of his ideas!

ORION said...

I got SEVEN KIDS this year.
It's a record at the marina!!!!!

Dal Jeanis said...

I'd trade with you in a heartbeat. My neighborhood is dark and empty both of kids and Haloween-spirited adults.

Sigh.

Buy Propecia said...

hello
Hi, I think your article its very important and interesting,good work