Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Getting lost in the story...

I laughed when a friend
sent me this snapshot because this is exactly how I feel lately. I sit down at my computer and I dig in, and then the story amps up and the characters start doing their thing so nicely, and the words begin to flow, and before I know it.... I look up and it's 2:00 o'clock in the morning, and I feel like I've grown roots in my chair!

P.S. I received my Romantic Times 4 and 1/2 star review in the mail today for The Penny Tree. In short, it reads: "Kennedy's latest is expertly written, bringing magic into the life of one seemingly ordinary woman. Annie Hillman is a winning protagonist and will appeal to women's fiction fans of all ages."

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where'd ya get the picture of me!!
*just kidding*

But I have ta say, this is what I imagine I look like late at night in Texas. Writer writing, in need of agent, publisher, any glimmmer of success *sigh*

Melissa Amateis said...

Unfortunately, this doesn't happen to me too often because I'm too darn responsible. I have to get the kids to bed, have to make sure I get myself to bed for the day job in the morning, etc. I do love it when I'm able to get lost in flow for a few hours, though. That is sheer bliss.

Therese said...

Today is a day when I need some roots to grow from my feet; I've done everything but write!

That's a fab review, btw!

Anonymous said...

I wish I could THINK UP a story that pulled me in this way. Mine always fizzle out to ... nothing.

Where does a person come up with a good story!?! I envy you. I think I'm a good writer, but I suck at the story side of it *sigh*

Anonymous said...

Sure hope you LOOK better than this guy does HK, lost in the story or not :)

Looking forward to seeing you in Athabasca April 11-12...

Spy Scribbler said...

Oh wow! I love writing days like that! If only they weren't so few and far between ... I hate interrupting the flow for life.

Mia King said...

Holly, congrats on the review! And I have to say that I am envious - I can certainly relate to pulling late hours with a manuscript, but it's been ages. Like Melissa, my kids keep me going at a clip (yes, let's blame them! I am clearly not going to win any Mom of the Year award at this rate) that I don't have a chance to put down writing roots, though I manage bits and pieces here and there. Still, it's better than the alternative - not writing at all ...