Thursday, June 21, 2007

Strand Book Store (a little slice of heaven)

I've always wanted to see the infamous Strand Book Store in New York, founded in 1927, and filled with (as they love to promote) 18 miles of books. So today, after lunch with my editor (who is such a doll), Pat and I took a cab over and the moment we walked through the door, all was lost.

Books, books, books! Old books, new books, review copies, ARCs, Strand book bags, and tons of promotional trinkets. Until then, I'd been acting like a grown-up, but *sigh* it somehow felt criminal (and pointless) to hold back my enthusiasm once I was there.

John Elder Robison, charming author of future best seller Look Me In The Eye (due out Sept 25th) met us and we visited in the middle of an aisle until a sour-faced customer walked past and suggested (with a loud cough) that we move to a coffee shop. Always quick with a comeback, Pat snarked, "I thought this was a book store, not a library."

Anyhow, we did manage to avoid a scuffle *lol* and left with lots of good stuff. Pat hopped in a cab to go meet her UK publisher for dinner (which, yes, followed her hours-long 'gush lunch' at William Morrow earlier where they SENT A CAR FOR HER), and John and I headed for Starbucks and had a great visit.

By the way, if you're ever in New York and want to check it out, Strand is located 2 blocks south of Union Square on 12th Street. It really is something to see!

8 comments:

Larramie said...

So, you bought that beautiful green bag, Holly? Green is really the fashion color this year. ;o)

ARCS are sold at The Strand...current ones? Hmm, I've always believed that was illegal.

Finally, since your editor is "a doll," my feeling is that The Silver Compass is in good hands and was/will be well-received. So enjoy your final day in NYC and that includes being wicked!

Heidi the Hick said...

Ok I think I could be coaxed into NYC for 18 MILES OF BOOKS!!!!

Melissa Amateis said...

Ok. The Strand is officially on my list of MUST SEE'S. It sounds fabulous!

Mindy Tarquini said...

I want to see the Strand. I spent Thursday shopping for sheets at Ikea, then in a car with two crabby kids, and, of course, at the grocery store to pick up comestibles for our last week at the seashore.

I think you got the better end of the deal.

Therese Fowler said...

MUST GO!

I want a green bag! I want to see 18 miles of books!

I want to see a doll of an editor!

Oh--I DO get to do all that, in just a few more days. (See? Whining works!) :)

ORION said...

I can attest to the fact that the strand is all it is cracked up to be.
It was WAY cool.
(Holly you must admit that guy had it coming)
Meeting John R. there was an added bonus!

Anonymous said...

Gotta get me one of
those bags. AND I'm adding
STRAND to my 'must see in NY list'

debra said...

My daughter will be attending the New School in August. I will now have another reason to visit! B-o-o-k-s!